Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A True Camping Story

       I was 12 when my Father led me out of the cabin door towards the pavilion for breakfast. The old cabin was just perfectly placed in the woods. It looked as if it were copied and pasted out of a country magazine. That classic “creek” to the door was ironically fitting. An invisible path directed us threw the tall maples and past some silent paper birch trees. The sun just barely bursted out of the arms of the trees and gave light to the roof top of the building. 
"Is that a black garbage bag dad?" I question him. "Why did you put it up there? Did you do it to keep it from the bears?" I inquired again. 
     A puzzled look began to graffiti across my father's face. He pressed a long strong arm across my chest like in the car when he shielded me from breaking to suddenly. I could feel his concern. His body language said it all. Something was wrong.
"Stop, that's no bag honey. That's a; not possible; no one's going to believe us; black panther." He whispered quietly. 
     Now normal children would have turned to tears but I was with a superhero. So I commented like any other girl in this situation would. "Dad, whoa, let’s check it out.” My Father is a good dad, but just like many others, he acted with the decision making skills of a 12 year old. Instead of walking me back to the cabin and locking the door, we investigated. I was not at all worried after all, he is a superhero.
     Smooth as butter sliding behind trees weaving in and out like Scooby Doo and Shaggy we approached. As we got about 20 yards away it stood with motions mimicking that of a house cat. It stretched mockingly to show its awesome long body, smooth chest and powerful muscles. So black it was almost metallic. It instantly humbled us. Aware of us and annoyed it stepped down off the pavilion roof like a tabby off a table. It loped across the lawn away from us, and gracefully stepped over our 5 foot ditch into the pasture. There we stood frozen, like lawn jockeys in awe, and it was gone. 
     Now of course no one believes us when we tell this amazing story, just as no one ever believed that my dad is a superhero. You can't tell me what I saw or what I know. I will tell you though without a doubt we seen a big black panther. Period. As far as my Father being a superhero, he scares away the boogeyman, even still today. He can make a quarter appear out from behind your ear and he's fearless in the presents of a black panther, so if you ask me he is definitely a superhero. 

No comments:

Post a Comment