Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Dream

     I could feel the breath and smell the hunt. It chased me with incomprehensible speed. Between bushes and over the deep ruts of the field I shopped for an escape. My heart shuttered with panic. The briars ripping my feet reminded me of how delicate my life was. My being could not take me as fast as I needed to flee.
I must take flight, I thought.
    In an instant, I begin to hover, taking to the sky with an amazing thrust. Everything was black and white. I looked to my left and seen movement on my arm. Just then I began noticing the feathers birthing from my skin. Taking to the sky I slid threw the clouds. Closing my eyes I left the beast far below me. I could feel ribbons of sweet night air lathering my face with hope. Suddenly I stopped, like hitting a brick wall.
    Upon opening my eyes I found myself in a tree looking down onto a pond tightly wrapped in the arms of the field where I grew up. My reflection is that of a great owl proudly perched in the grandstands of a large willow. On the shore is my beast watching and admiring my fight. He is always there, strong, terrifying. Somehow within his commanding eyes I can find respect and honor.
    As our gazes met I was ripped from the tree diving to the water as if I were "witching" for it. I swam deep, so deep I could feel the pressure of a thousand vices crushing my mind. My ears were crying with a need of release. With that I changed, feeling my body except the destination that was not of my choosing. My feathers smoothed, and oil glazed my fur.
    A distant light grew brighter rippling in the movement of the waves.  Somehow I was going up. Quickening for air I demanded the surface. My face sprang to the sight of the moon. My lungs raped a breath of peppermint from the night, filling my chest with life. As gracefully as an otter I smoothed to the shore. Dancing in the aquatic play written by nature and performed by me. I made my way to the shore.
    I gripped the cattails I pulled myself up on to a bed of mint.  I submitted, stopped resisting, and gave myself to the fear of the dog. With dragonflies rocking like a mobile in the wind my long hair returned and wrapped around my shoulders. Goose bumps of dew peppered my naked skin and I fell asleep. Awaking in an instant to my colorful reality

No comments:

Post a Comment